Workplaces have made great strides in recent years regarding discrimination in a variety of job settings. Unfortunately, sex discrimination is still a common occurrence in many companies and organizations. It is also illegal under state and federal regulations. Getting a law firm that is committed to educating the public, many of whom are potential victims of sex discrimination in Philadelphia, about their rights under the law is best.
What is sex discrimination?
Sex discrimination occurs when individuals are treated differently in employment settings simply because they are a man or a woman. If your career has suffered harm because of your gender (for example, if you were denied a promotion, pay raise, or were fired), you may be a victim of sex discrimination in Philadelphia. This type of discrimination is prohibited by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.
It is important to distinguish between the terms gender and sex. Gender refers to characteristics that are associated with maleness or femaleness. Sex refers to the anatomical identity of a person as male or female. In most cases, both forms of discrimination are prohibited by the Civil Rights Act.
The following are several examples of sex discrimination in Philadelphia:
· You receive a smaller salary because of your gender
· You are denied employment or promotion opportunities because you are pregnant
· Your job classification is lowered based on your gender
· You receive fewer benefits than your co-workers of the opposite gender, even though your working status is the same or similar
· Your employer demands sexual favors as a condition of your employment
· You are subjected to sexually demeaning jokes, comments, insults, or insinuations
Sex discrimination is an unacceptable workplace practice. Do not feel that you have to suffer in silence. If you have brought up the issue with your employers and they still refuse to comply with regulations that protect you from sex discrimination, discuss your case with the Philadelphia sex discrimination law firm.
Contact us regarding Philadelphia sex or gender discrimination
If you are a victim of gender or sex discrimination in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, contact an experienced attorneys are committed to client satisfaction and obtaining outstanding results in the field of employment law.